How to Style Postpartum Bangs, From a Celebrity Hairstylist

As a mom of two children under three, my appearance ranks very low on my to-do list. If I don't have a video or in-person meetings, I don't even bother glancing in the mirror. Recently though, when I do catch a glimpse of myself, I've been slightly horrified. Specifically on video calls, I've looked at myself and thought there's no way my hair looks like it does. But alas, it wasn't a computer glitch - I'd entered my postpartum bangs era.

As my colleague wrote about hair theory, the idea that how you wear your hair influences how you look and are perceived, my baby bangs made me look like chaos. Like I somehow needed both a coffee and chamomile tea at the same time. I reminded myself that no one is looking at me on video calls . . . but what if they are? If my hair could talk, it looked like it would say that it's given up on holding it together.

I know I'm not alone in this. In my mom group text chat, hair issues from postpartum hair loss, hair texture changes, and, yes, the bangs are a recurrent theme. So what could I do about it? I asked celebrity hair stylist Mark Townsend, whose clients include Dakota Johnson, Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen, and Gal Gadot, for styling tips that are doable on a busy mom schedule.


Expert Featured in This Article

Mark Townsend is a Los Angeles-based celebrity hairstylist.


What Are Postpartum Bangs?

You may look like Lydia from Beetlejuice, but these little hairs are a sign of regrowth to replace hair that sheds postpartum. This is caused by hormonal shifts after a person gives birth.

Townsend said he sees most of the hair loss at the four corners: the top left and right of your hairline and at the bottom left and right by the nape of your neck. He noticed my hair loss was greater on my left side, which he chalks up to my sleep position. It's recommended to sleep on your side while pregnant, and even though I'm postpartum, I've gotten used to curling up on my side. Sleeping on your back is best, and Townsend recommends a silk pillowcase rather than cotton, which absorbs moisture from the skin and hair. Although postpartum hair loss and bangs are hormonal, Townsend shared a few more tips for unintentional habits that could make postpartum bangs worse.

What to Avoid When You Have Postpartum Bangs

The things I've been doing to try to camouflage postpartum bangs are making them worse: heat products and tight hairstyles. The slicked back bun? Chic but dangerous for those fragile hairs. The "mom bun" or messy top knot, also not the best. As Townsend explains, "the hairs on the hairline are thinner and finer. Pulling from the root could change the hair texture. These styles can cause tension and breakage." If you need a heat product in your life, Townsend recommends a blow dry brush, because the tension is in the brush, which can be less damaging to the hair.


The Best Ways to Style Your Hair When You Have Postpartum Bangs

Consider a style that will protect your hair. Townsend recommends a middle part with a low and loose ponytail. This covers your weaker baby hairs with your stronger hairs. It also helps to camouflage the bangs. As you style, the stronger hair on the top will get the product rather than the baby hairs.

Rather than wet products like hairspray, which can stick the hairs together, Townsend recommends using a dry spray like RŌZ Root Lift Spray ($42) or a dry shampoo like The Hours On-Time ($29) for a romantic texture. A '90s updo with a french hairpin might be your best go-to. To tame baby hairs, Townsend used a natural bristle toothbrush rather than a comb, which could cause breakage.


What Are the Best Products For Postpartum Bangs?

Townsend believes in treating your hair like skin. His products of choice are Dr. Groot Shampoo ($30) and Miracle In-Shower Treatment ($27), which is like a gel you apply from the top down, instead of a conditioner.

Townsend has observed clients who have new cycles of how fast their hair produces oil after childbirth. This was definitely the case for me, as my hair gets so oily that I need to wash it everyday. To care for your scalp, he recommends increasing circulation with a scalp massager, like the Gro Massager ($18). In lieu of washing my hair everyday, he suggested using the scalp massager in the shower without product to see if that could reduce some of my hair washes. I also recently tried a K-Headspa treatment (which my colleague gives a full rundown here) and it helped to significantly reduce my oil and dandruff. I've also noticed my hair has started to look fuller since I started using Leonor Greyl Energizing Serum for Thinning Hair ($120).

To stimulate hair growth, Townsend also recommends oral supplements, such as Nutrafol ($88), and prescription medications such as minoxidil.



What Are the Best Haircuts For Postpartum Bangs?

Going into my session with Townsend, I felt ready to make a big change. As the saying goes "change your hair and change your life," and after having two kids in two years and nearing the end of my first year with my second baby, something inside me screamed a change.

"Should I cut my hair into a bob and get bangs?"

Townsend was unfazed: "No, I won't let you cut off all your hair." He's had clients want to chop off a foot of hair or get bangs while pregnant or postpartum and usually advises them to wait a bit. I appreciated this. When I was pregnant with my first child, on a 90 degree day while 8 months pregnant, I cut off 13 inches of hair and donated it to Wigs for Kids. It was empowering for a day followed by weeks of regret for my familiar security blanket of long hair.

"Curtain bangs are your best friend" when you have postpartum bangs, he added. I'm considering those for when I feel like I can make a less impulsive hair choice.


Genevieve Farrell is an award-winning filmmaker and the director of fitness and wellness video at PS. She oversees PS Fit, which makes fitness fun and accessible for a community of more than six million subscribers and which has a library of videos that has received more than one billion views. She graduated Magna Cum Laude from the University of Southern California with degrees in Film Production and Marketing. With more than 10 years of experience in the entertainment industry, she has produced films that screened at festivals, such as the Tribeca Film Festival, and were licensed by Showtime. Genevieve is a NASM-certified trainer and has created content for brands including Fitbit, Samsung, and Under Armour.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post

Contact Form